Monday, May 24, 2010

The Date is officially over!

Last fall I went to a Stake Activity where I spoke about who I would like to "sit down in heaven" with. My choice was Jane Austen. I talked about reading her novels, visiting her homeland, and finding my own Mr. Darcy. Many women liked my selection, sought me out, and discussed their favorite Jane Austen novel. One such lady explained she was a high school drama teacher whose students were going to  pride and prejudice  perform Pride and Prejudice during the spring. I gave her my e-mail address so she could contact me with further details. To my delight, she was at a spring Stake Activity and allowed me to purchase some tickets of Pride and Prejudice! The play was on Friday at eight o'clock in Bakersfield. Girls with the last name Kent, watched high school students pretend to be from the 1800's, dance minuets, and write long-winded letters to each other. Imagine sitting downwind from an agricultural farm while hearing beautiful phrases such as "in vain I have struggled, it will not do. I must tell you how ardently I admire and love you... All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony." Having no idea the performance was to be held outdoors, we did not prepare for the chilly weather. I wore a dress since I considered to be a "date night". Despite the cold weather, gusts of wind that disturbed the sound system, foul smell, and the Harley-Davidson revving up its engine on the street, I wore a huge smile during the performance! Mrs. Bennet stole the show! She was hilarious! "Have you no consideration for my poor nerves?" Mr. Bennet replies, "You mistake me, my dear. I have the utmost respect for your nerves. They've been my constant companion these twenty years." A few minutes before intermission, Nicole whispered to Jenny as she shivered, "Can't Kelly just go home and watch the movie?" Needless to say, we left at intermission. Just as we drove through our driveway, I vomited my entire chicken dinner. My date was officially over!

No comments: